Monday, April 30, 2012

Homemade Baby Products

This week my girls weren't feeling well so I stayed home from church with them, and daddy took the boys with him.  I was sad to miss church but it was fabulous to have time to spend just us girls.  We spent most of the time in the kitchen.  We made yummy cinnamon rolls for daddy (his favorite dessert) and we also made  baby lotion.  The night before my sweet husband stood by and watched me make diaper cream. I am excited that my recipe turned out and am excited to share it with you.  Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures. :( But I will take one today of my finished product and add it to this post. :)


Homemade diaper cream ( and its cloth diaper safe) 


1/2 oz beeswax
3 1/2 oz of oils  I used a combination of olive oil, vitamin E oil, and coconut oil
Tea Tree Oil
Lavender oil, optional
4 oz tin or jar

Put your beeswax in a glass measuring cup and place it in a pan of water.  Heat over medium heat until the beeswax is completely melted.  Then add your oils slowly.  The beeswax will harden a little when you dump your oils in, but no worries it will melt back down.  Keep heating it until everything is blended and melted back down.  Add 5 or so drops of tea tree oil and remove from heat. Now dump your ointment into a jar and let it cool.

I had some 4 oz tins that I got from Bulk Herb Store I filled it and had a little left so I emtiep out a chap stick tube I had and dumped the last bit in it. Now I have a tube of fabulous chap stick and a 4 oz tube of diaper ointment.

I am glad to report that my ointment turned out well and it improved my babies awful diaper rash in just one change ( by awful I mean blisters and bleeding caused from a food allergy.)  I had tried lots of creams. I m so happy I found one that works.  Don't use to much though it is very concentrated. :)

If you decide you don't want to make your own send me a message at crawleyfamily@ymail.com for more information.


Lotion

I wanted to make my own baby lotion so I found a few recipes and ideas and made my own.

3 Tb. shea butter
3 Tb olive oil
1T coconut oil
1 T vitamin E oil
2 T beeswax
1 cup of distilled water
lavender essential oil

So I put the beeswax, Shea butter and water in a glass measuring cup and then placed it in a pan of water. I then heated it iver medium heat until all was melted together. Then I put it in my blender and slowly added the remaining ingredients and turned the blender on until all was mixed well. Then I put it in a container to let it cool.

Over all I wasn't happy with this recipe because the water separated from the oils.  But after getting most of the water drained out the blend of oils made a wonderful lotion although I used way too much lavender oil. So next time I am just going to use a mixture of oils and have the Shea butter be the thickener. I will post how it goes when I get to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment